Justin Piatt – Rock Band: a great game, or the greatest game? This is the question that has plagued the inquisitive gamer since gamers first became inquisitive. (Since the question relates to a relatively new game, we can assume that this has not been long.) As I sit here playing Beatles Rock Band – or rather imagining myself playing it elsewhere since the newest game system I own is PS2 (Oh, how ancient!) – I cannot help but wonder why we have yet to see the rather obvious – nay, inspired – creation of a Rock Band entirely devoted to Muppet music. After all, the catalogue is endless (more-or-less), and could include several songs performed by, yet not originating, with the Muppets.
So why not? Why not Muppet Rock Band? Green Day has their own Rock Band; surely the Muppets deserve their turn. To the fine folks at Disney Interactive, I tell you that Muppet Rock Band could be as epic as Epic Mickey! As big as Epcot! It could surpass the popularity of apple pie and motherhood! Just imagine thousands of Muppet/Rock Band fans rocking out to “Can You Picture That?” Merrily belting out the joyous “Movin’ Right Along!” Taking on the daunting task of beating Animal in a drum battle extra feature ala Harry Belafonte and Buddy Rich! Why, no man alive could take no for an answer when playing as their favorite Muppet character through their favorite Muppet movies and favorite Muppet television shows, playing their favorite Muppet songs. It could even tie in with the new movie, giving fans a special sneak peak of the musical numbers that await them in theaters November 23, 2011.
Here are just some of the awesome songs that could be a part of Muppet Rock Band:
- “Bohemian Rhapsody”
- “Can You Picture That?” (The Muppet Movie)
- “Movin’ Right Along” (The Muppet Movie)
- “The Magic Store” (The Muppet Movie)
- “You Can’t Take No For an Answer” (The Muppets Take Manhattan)
- “Night Life” (The Great Muppet Caper)
- “Happiness Hotel” (The Great Muppet Caper)
- “Hey! A Movie!” (The Great Muppet Caper)
- “I’m Going to Go Back There Someday” (Muppets From Space version)
- “She Drives Me Crazy” (Kermit Unpigged)
- “Wild Thing” (Kermit Unpigged)
- “Surfin’ USA” (Muppet Beach Party)
- “Fun Fun Fun” (Muppet Beach Party)
- “Six String Orchestra” (The Muppet Show)
- “Rockin’ Robin” (The Muppet Show)
- “To Morrow” (The Muppet Show)
- “Blackbird” (The Muppet Show)
- “Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover” (The Muppet Show)
So, dear readers, I’ll leave you with this question…
Muppet Rock Band: a great idea, or the greatest idea?
The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier