We mentioned awhile ago that the extremely popular touring exhibit, Jim Henson’s Fantastic World, was making its way to the Museum of the Moving Image in New York. The exhibition opens in all its fuzzy glory on July 16th and closes on January 16, 2012, so Muppet fans have plenty of time to visit the exhibit and its numerous special programs. What special programs, you ask? Well, the answer is simple, thanks to the handy calendar of events provided by the Museum online yesterday. Let’s take a look, shall we?
- Saturday, July 16 at 1:00pm: Screening – The Muppet Movie with Austin Pendleton in person (Max)
- Saturday, July 30 and Sunday, July 31 at 1:00pm: Screening and Special Event – “Muppet History 101” presented by Craig Shemin, president of The Jim Henson Legacy
- Saturday, July 30 at 3:00pm: Special Event – “Hands Up! Heads Down!” An Inside Look at Puppetry for Television presented by Craig Shemin and Stephanie D’Abruzzo, veteran Sesame Street performer
- Saturday, August 13 and Sunday, August 14 at 1:00pm: Screening and Live Event – The Dark Crystal with puppeteer Kathy Mullen (Kira, Mokey Fraggle) in person
- Saturday, August 20 and Sunday, August 21 at 1:00pm: Screening and Live Event – The Muppets Take Manhattan with production designer Stephen Hendrickson and costume designer Calista Hendrickson
- Saturday, September 17 and Sunday, September 18 at 1:00pm: Screening and Live Event – The Storyteller, “The Soldier and the Death” with puppeteer Fran Brill
- Saturday, September 17 and Sunday, September 18 at 3:00pm: Family Workshop – Puppet Building with Noel MacNeal
- Sunday, September 18 at 4:00pm: Screening and Live Event – An Afternoon with Jane Henson: “Look Both Ways and Go”
- Saturday, September 24 and Sunday, September 25 at 1:00pm: Screening – Muppet Music Moments: A Weekend Celebration of Jim Henson’s Birthday with music consultant Larry Grossman
To view a complete calendar of all screenings, workshops, and events be sure to check out the Museum’s website for the special events coinciding with Jim Henson’s Fantastic World.
If you’re in the New York area, be sure to check out some of these special events and the absolutely amazing exhibit that is Jim Henson’s Fantastic World! A chance to meet Fran Brill, Noel MacNeal, Austin Pendleton, Stephanie D’Abruzzo, Craig Shemin, and the one and only Jane Henson is presented for you… take advantage of it if you can! I promise it’s worth it!
The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier, firstname.lastname@example.org
3 thoughts on “Jim Henson’s Fantastic World Takes Manhattan”
I wept. Just now. I freaking wept. I can't wait to go!!!
If you want to write something up about your experience we would DEFINITELY be interested in running it as an article, Barking Alien. Email me to discuss if you want to!
I went today as a last minute stop before catching a flight back to Florida. I came face-to face with Kermit and I choked up and got very misty.. When I saw Piggy in the wedding gown, I lost it.